Saturday, August 17, 2013

Soundtrack Saturday: Dust and Bones - Night Terrors of 1927

Every once in a while, a song comes along that takes you by surprise and makes you stop everything to listen. You feel it in the marrow of your bones. You get goosebumps on your skin and tears in your eyes. You lose track of where you are and what you're doing. For those few minutes, the world stops turning and it's just you and the music. When the song is over, you scramble to find the title and artist so you can play it again. Every time you listen to it, you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you first heard it. As a music lover, it is one of the best feelings in the world.

This song was one of those songs for me. I was driving home from school after a particularly rough day. It was nearing the end of the semester, and I was getting burned out from the constant business that is pharmacy school. I was listening to AltNation in my car, and Night Terrors of 1927 was their newly discovered band. "Dust and Bones" started playing, and it was like the sun came out from behind a cloud. 

Official video for the song. I need one of those 
fluffy skirts the ballroom dancers are wearing.

Even though the lyrics themselves are not especially uplifting, something about this song gave me hope. To me, it sounds like a song that would play in a movie, where the protagonist has been through struggle after struggle and wants to give up, but somehow finds the strength to stand back up one more time. If you see me running, and I look like I'm singing or I throw my hands in the air, chances are I am listening to this song. I'll be putting this near the end of my half marathon playlist, because I know I'll need the encouragement around mile 9 or 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment