Friday, September 13, 2013

A Big Week Over Here in Nerd-ville

This week has been a huge week for those of us who are immersed in nerd culture. There have been major announcements for two of the fandoms to which I belong, plus two other exciting and nerdy things happened in my life this week. I don't think I could possibly be freaking out any more than I am at this moment!! So, without further ado...

Big News #1: First Look at the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Episode
While I am relatively new to the Doctor Who fandom, the show itself has been on since 1963! That makes this year the 50th anniversary of the show, and there will be a special anniversary episode on Nov. 23rd, the date the very first Doctor Who episode aired. Very little is known about the anniversary special, but the first official image was released by the BBC earlier this week!!!
Courtesy of the BBC
David Tennant, Matt Smith, and John Hurt will be playing various incarnations of The Doctor, with Hurt playing an as-yet-unknown Doctor. If you need me on Nov. 23rd, I will be parked in front of the TV wearing my TARDIS dress and COMPLETELY FREAKING OUT!

Big News #2: J. K. Rowling will be writing a new film series
If you thought I was freaking out about the new Doctor Who poster, you can multiply that excitement by about 1000 and you still won't get how excited I am about the announcement by J. K. Rowling that she would be writing a new series of films set in the Harry Potter universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a Potterhead of the highest degree, this is a HUGE DEAL!!!!! 
Me at Hogwarts - there are few things that I will voluntarily
get up at 5am for. This was one of them.
The new movies will be based off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, one of the textbooks used at Hogwarts that Rowling wrote for charity. It will follow the story of Newt Scamander, the author of Fantastic Beasts, and it's set about 70 years before the Harry Potter books. You can bet I will be first in line for the midnight premiere!

Big News #3: I got my international rotation ranking!
At my pharmacy school, we have the option to go on rotation in a foreign country for a month. We pick where we get to go based on a ranking system that takes into account our GPA, extracurricular activities, and an essay. We got our rankings today, and I am almost exactly where I predicted in the list, so I'm happy with my rank. Now I just have to prioritize which countries I want to pick! The official picking process will occur next Friday. I am both excited and nervous, but I'm ready to be done with the whole process so I can start planning my next big adventure!

Big News #4: Impulse buys are awesome!
I was minding my own business, reading a magazine today, when I came across the greatest dress ever designed. It is so perfect for me, I even look like the model wearing it. If you follow me on Instagram, you already know what it is. For the rest of you, you'll just have to wait until it comes in the mail!

1 comment:

  1. You should be studying!!! I think this is the first time I have noticed your background...I LOVE IT!!! Oh and they are also making new covers of the Harry Potter books for the 15th anniversary (not sure about the year) but new covers are coming

    ReplyDelete