Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Typical Workout Week

When I started my elective class month, I was expecting to be less busy and have more free time than I did in January. I am stunned by how wrong I was! This month has been so incredibly busy I have trouble believing it is already almost over! This is partly because I was playing catch-up from all the things I didn't get done in January and partly because I was in class and working 20-30 hours per week at the same time. The good news is that I have been able to make and (mostly) keep a workout routine.

My typical week - give or take some shuffling depending on my schedule

Short run days (Tuesday and Thursday)
My midweek runs are always shorter than my long runs. I try to make them 1/2 to 2/3 the length of my long run for that week. These runs are to keep my body used the the idea of running, or I can use them for working on my speed (ugh) or doing hill repeats (uugggghhhh) since the Nashville half marathon is notoriously hilly.

In the words of Donna Noble, "It's a lot of running!"

Cross-training (Wednesday and sometimes Sunday)
Cross-training is essential for training because the body needs an occasional change of pace from all that running. I usually do the elliptical or take a walk. Occasionally I will swim, but that can be a hassle so I don't swim very often. I'll add in some ab exercises or yoga if I'm feeling particularly motivated. There are also some great YouTube videos of full body cross training workouts that don't require any equipment so I can do them at home.

A good way to think about your physical activity

Weights (Friday)
Strength training is important not just for running but for anyone putting together an exercise plan. I have a set of hand weights I use at home, or I'll go to the gym and use the machines (and sometimes the weight benches if there's someone around to make sure I don't drop the bar on my head).  There are lots of online resources for strength training that help me plan my workouts.

My favorite arm workout

Long Runs (Saturday or Sunday)
These runs are the most crucial part of my training. I up my mileage each week leading up to the race. Today was actually the first day I've been able to do my long run outside this year, as it has been freezing cold all month and today was actually nice enough weather to be outdoors. Depending on my schedule, I'll either do my long run Saturday or Sunday. If I do it on Saturday, I either rest or do light cross training on Sunday. If I run on Sunday, I'll usually rest on Saturday.

Running, while I still find it unpleasant, has changed from
impossible to possible.

I always build in one or two rest days each week. I need to get in a better habit of stretching each day in addition to my workouts, but I haven't found a stretching routine that makes me happy. Eventually, I will write a post about where I find all my cross training and strength training workouts. If anyone needs me I'll have my nose in theses 2342357 articles I have to read for class on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment