Sunday, January 5, 2014

Soundtrack Sunday: Colder Weather - Zac Brown Band

There's a cold front blowing through Memphis right now. The temperatures are dropping down into the teens tonight. It's going to be the coldest it's been in the last 15 years, or so I read on the news. So in a literal sense, this song is perfect for today. It also happens to be my song, my favorite song. I know all the words, I sing it in the car, in the shower, and sometimes just when I'm alone and bored. I never get tired of it, and whenever I hear it, the melody resonates within my soul.



When I listen to "Colder Weather," or when I sing it to myself when no one is around, I always hear it as a duet. Though the harmonies are what drew me in initially and are a big reason why I like Zac Brown Band as a whole, I feel this song was meant to be sung by a man and a woman, each telling the other's story. It is both hopeful and terribly sad, a tale of love and loss and impossible dreams. I love the words at the end, the idea of feeling someone's presence even when they are not there, whether it's someone who has died or who is just very far away. I feel like I'm taking a risk by sharing this song with you all. It's like I'm bearing part of my soul to the world. I hope you feel even a little of what I feel when I listen to this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment